Natural disasters represent an ongoing risk to the electrical grid. Hurricanes, wildfires, earthquakes, etc. cause billions of dollars and damages to the health and public safety of citizens across the country. The solar energy industry can help prepare for natural disasters, especially with the installations of off-grid solar systems in local communities hit by a natural disaster.
In the new Netflix series called Down to Earth with Zac Efron, we see Zac journey the world with wellness expert Darin Olien in search of healthy, sustainable ways to live. From Puerto Rico to Iceland, Zac is setting out to make this world a better place. Down to earth focuses on food, water, and energy; they are the main staples for modern life described in the series. Throughout the series, Zac and Darin meet people who are working to change how humans consume all three to be more sustainable.
In episode 3, called ‘Costa Rica,’ Zac Efron travels to a community in Costa Rica called Punta Mona. Zac Efron discovered how a population of 44 families from 28 different countries keeps its carbon footprint very low by collecting solid waste - ‘aka poop💩.’ We watched Zac put solid waste in large bags and then used the Methane produced for power.
In episode 6, called ‘Puerto Rico’ Zac Efron and his crew travels to Old san Juan. We learn how Puerto Rico is healing after Hurricane Maria. Zac meets up with San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz - and discovers the methods of sustainable energy that are being used and developed on the island.
Hurricane Maria was the storm that killed at least nine people and left the entire island of Puerto Rico without any electrical power.
Solar energy for off-grid and disaster-hit regions
When a natural disaster such as a hurricane hits a local community, one of the electricity emergency service options is diesel generators; this provides electricity to a building on the spot. In 3rd world countries, especially in the region of West Africa, these generators are mostly used.
The transportation of the diesel supply requires logistical and personnel support, which are not sustainable in the long term, especially towards a community suffering from a recent natural disaster.
Think about it - Humanitarian aid workers in areas impacted by natural disasters face a whole range of different challenges. Most of the workers are busy catering for the mothers and children affected. They focus on the immediate need for food, clean water, medical aid, and shelter because those are the quick basic needs. Still, most non-profit organizations forget to realize how vital electricity can be during these situations.
Without energy supply, hospitals, communication centers, and boreholes for a source of clean water will have no power. These diesel generators are not sustainable in the long term, and they create more pollution both to the environment and human health.
The need for off-grid solar systems provide these communities with reliable access to power 24 hours, seven days a week, and 365 days a year non-stop.
You can book a free online consultation this moment with IntegrateSun solar experts for more information about off-grid solar systems.
How off-grid solar benefits these communities
- Less environmental footprint: Residents living off the grid in these communities hit by the disaster live in small groups and consume less power even if they use renewable energy, produce less waste, and recycle regularly. Using off-grid solar energy helps provide electricity that will reduce the consumption of fossil fuels. The off-grid solar system helps minimize the negative impact on the environment.
- Reduced electricity costs: Off-grid relies upon the sun to provide the power needed because it costs nothing in monthly electric bills. The maintenance mostly requires changing the battery.
- An easy alternative for remote areas: Since rural and remote areas have fewer infrastructures, connecting to the main electrical grid can be a challenge and incredibly costly, but off-grid solar energy systems offset this significant role. People who live in areas away from the main grid can save money through off-grid systems. These systems make it, so users don’t have to pay extra to connect to anything. It gives people the freedom to live anywhere while being able to produce and control power.
- A simple lifestyle: Most communities who live off the grid adjust to a simple lifestyle that is healthier and helps preserve the world. The adjustments can often most times be a simple as reducing plastic waste, composting, recycling, and much more.
- Energy Independence: The world can only donate once or once in a while to a particular region affected by a natural disaster, but what happens when the donations/ charity campaigns are over? Most of these communities are left alone to survive by themselves. When communities get an off-grid solar system delivered to them (supported by donations), it brings value to the community that lasts the long-term. Communities with an off-grid solar system are often independent of their water supply, electrical, sewage, and other utility services. They often depend less on the government and build wealth within themselves to benefit their generations to come.
Looking toward the future
With support from charities and donations from individuals, businesses, and organizations across the nation and globe, solar energy can help protect citizens and communities against power outage caused by hurricanes, stormy weathers, wildfires, floods, and similar events.
To learn more about which solar panel is best for your home, IntegrateSun consists of the best experienced solar consultants in Texas to guide you through your solar journey and show you the right the information you need to make your experience worth it.
Join thousands of homeowners today and save better with solar panels. For solar requirements, contact us today, get a quote, or schedule a virtual appointment to speak with an IntegrateSun solar consultant. Follow us on social media, and leave a comment below, we are happy to respond. Today’s energy for a brighter tomorrow.